the good ole days weren’t always good and tomorrow ain’t as bad as it seems
—Billy Joel (via bradleylthomas)
—Billy Joel (via bradleylthomas)
I walked in on a plan to dissolve all of your wishes
ya i’m horny so what
i need to make friends up here,
i’m a fucking loner
Here are some wonderful facts about Sea World’s orcas!
- The average lifespan of wild orcas ranges from 30-50 years, although some females can easily make it past 80 (a wild orca named J2 or ‘Granny’ is 103 this year!). The lifespan of a Sea World orca is around 25 years, the median age being 9. But at least they put on a good show!
- Don’t worry, collapsed dorsal fins are a common condition, although in the wild only sick or injured orcas have collapsed dorsal fins. All of Sea World’s males and some females have it, it makes them look unique!
- The size of Sea World’s tanks compared to an orca is about the same as a human to a bathtub. Lot’s of room to stretch and move!
- Wild orcas swim 100+ miles a day, they would have to swim around their tank 1,400+ times a day to achieve that. But that seems like a lot of work, and you may see the animals hanging out near the surface of the water or on the bottoms of their tanks for hours. That’s a lot more relaxing than swimming all those miles!
- Sea World gives their orcas a Valium-like drug to stop the whales from acting aggressively towards each other and to numb their minds from their vastly uninteresting concrete tanks. Buying a ticket to Sea World is an excellent way to help them pay for these drugs that they pump their animals full with!
- Many captive orcas show abnormal behaviors like head bobbing, chewing on concrete, and self mutilation by banging their heads into the side of the tank. Obviously just temper-tantrums! Silly things.
- In the wild, there has been only one orca attack. Bad orca! While in captivity, there have been over 100 attacks and 4 deaths. These animals just need more training, it couldn’t possibly be related to their confinement!
- Food is used as reinforcement for tricks. Do a trick, get your dinner. Don’t want to do a trick? I guess you don’t eat tonight you stubborn thing!
See? Sea World isn’t as bad as people make it out to be! Oh, one more fact: for every $1,000,000 Sea World makes, about $600 goes into conservation efforts (about $0.5 a ticket). I’m so glad they care about conservation of the ocean! Amazing work!
If you haven’t realized it yet, this post is 100% sarcastic. It should be obvious, but not everyone understands sarcasm…
Please don’t let this die
Ok well here’s my rebuttal,
1) you see those orcas all over tumblr? The ones that are swimming freely in the fucking ocean? Yeah well they are rapidly decreasing in population. Why don’t we focus our attention on that? How much attention and energy have we all spent hating on seaworld?
2) I’m pretty sure seaworld works around the clock to maintain the health of their animals.
3) yeah they’re kept in tanks, you keep your goldfish in a tank, we keep our snakes I’m aquariums and who’s arguing about that? No one. Are these animals not the same in significance? Do they not all play a huge part in the ecosystem?
4) who the fuck do you think you are? Persuaded by a movie? What if it was a book? Would you read that and be moved by any sort? Probably not.
5) Now because of blackfish we all have our heads up our asses. ITS A FUCKING MOVIE. They put a soundtrack to it and show some clips. And now all of a sudden you give two shits.
6) But there are whales, and not just orcas, washing up on shore weekly because of pollution or getting hit by boats or starving to death cause we’re all fucking up the ocean.
7) There are many things we can turn our attention to besides hating on seaworld. Like go pick up trash at the beach. Or go volunteer at a wildlife center (if you’ve never worked with animals you’ll see what I’m talking about when I say people work around the clock for them).
8) there’s plenty of things to complain about that are much bigger than seaworld. We got the whole fucking ocean to explore. We have the plant to save, there are orcas out there besides the ones at seaworld THAT STILL NEED YOUR HELP.
Don’t waste your time in front of a fucking screen showing you depressing pictures of whales in captivity or naked chicks.
Be a part of helping not hating.
THE WORLD NEEDS HELPERS NOT HATERS. FUCK.
END RANT.I don’t know where I stand with seaworld. I stand on the beach. I marvel at how beautiful it is. I start doing something to make it better. I stopped using plastic bags. I know these are just small things. But if I encourage you and the people around me to do better maybe we’ll all do better.
I like solitude
But god damn it sure is nice
to sit with some one
you can’t be hard on the lovers
can’t be too quick to judge